About the Qualification
This qualification is an Australian Nationally Recognised Training program and reflects the role of entry level personal care workers in the community and/or residential setting who follow an individualised plan to provide person-centred support and care to people who may require support due to ageing, disability or some other reason.
This qualification prepares you to work using discretion and judgement in relation to individual support, as well as taking responsibility for own outputs. You will gain a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge, as well as some theoretical knowledge of the concepts and practices required to provide person-centred support.
This qualification has a mandatory work placement component, which is to be undertaken with an approved Kenyan workplace.
Potential Employment Outcomes:
Care Support Worker – Residential facility & Community – Aged Care and Disability
Domestic Support Worker
Lifestyle and Leisure Assistant
The qualification consists of the following units, to meet the Training package rules
Structure: 13 units
The following will be delivered and completed in Kenya and will be delivered full time over 4 weeks
Provide individualised support
Support independence and well being
Communicate and work in health or community services
Work with diverse people
Work legally and ethically
Recognise healthy body systems
Follow safe work practices for direct client care
Facilitate the empowerment of older people
Provide support to people living with dementia
Meet personal support needs
Work with people with mental health issues
Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
Comply with infection prevention and control policies and
There will be 3 full days of practical sessions. These will be in Nairobi and each student will be required to attend – This is a requirement of the qualification.
The following will be completed in Australia. This will be delivered full time over 1 week.
- Provide First Aid HLTAID011
- Manual Handling
- Assist with medications HLTHPS005
- Palliative Care
- Intensive Practical
- Cultural awareness and readiness for Australian workplace training.
Course Entry Requirements
To support with completion of the qualification and maximising your employability outcomes, the following entry requirements need to be met by each Student accepted into the program:
- Have good spoken English language and comprehension skills
- Complete and pass a Foundations Skills assessment, at the required level
- Participate in a suitability interview prior to enrolment, to demonstrate enthusiasm and an
ability to undertake this qualification and employable in industry
- Be physically able to undertake the required job tasks, as a Carer Worker
- Have a clean police clearance which is a requirement of employment within the industry
- Be over the age of 18 years
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions of the Product Disclosure Statement prior to
- Provide or applying for your Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Hold a drivers licence is not mandatory but highly desirable for employers.
Course Delivery and Duration
- Face-to-face classroom based facilitated by video conferencing with Australian trainers
- Self-directed (as per timetable)
- Classroom based theory
- Classroom based practicals in our Skills Lab
- Self-directed digital learning material
- The maximum of 20 students per class
- 9 weeks full time (8 hours per day), plus up to 5 hours a week of self directed study
- There is a 3 week full time work placement (120 hours) included in the 9 weeks
- The first 8 weeks are delivered in Kenya (4 weeks classroom theory and practical session | 3 weeks work placement | 1 week assessment completion)
- The final week is completed in Australia – This is supplementary to the qualification and designed to fully prepare you for working in the social services sector in Australia.
- Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) may shorten the above time
- Individual or group study support sessions are available on a weekly basis and are included within the timetable
The RTO will allocate you a work placement with one of our Industry Partners. You and the facility are supported during the placement by our Trainers and Assurors. Students will need access to a personal email address and a device with wifi capability.
All assessments are undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the CHC Community Services Training Package, the, the National Vocational Requirements and all Government Funding Requirements (if applicable).
Assessment Methods : Unless otherwise stated assessment is undertaken by using the following methods:
- Knowledge Questions
- Group Activities
- Practical (completed in the simulates Skills Lab)
- Work Placement (Completed in the workplace)
To be found competent in the qualification students must satisfactorily complete ALL assessment activities
Student Support : Students will have access to the following support while training with the RTO
- Access to Trainers and Assessors
- Guided group or 1 on 1 assessment support and mentoring
- Contextualisation and reasonable adjustment of assessments
- Access to re attend classes, both theory and practical
Tuitions fees are AU$ 1500.00 – Special offer for April & May 2022